This position is located onsite in Columbia, SC.
Reviews and evaluates medical or behavioral eligibility regarding benefits and clinical criteria by applying clinical expertise, administrative policies, and established clinical criteria to service requests or provides health management program interventions. Utilizes clinical proficiency, claims knowledge/analysis, and comprehensive knowledge of healthcare continuum to assess, plan, implement, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate medical necessity, options, and services required to support members in managing their health, chronic illness, or acute illness. Utilizes available resources to promote quality, cost effective outcomes.
- 60% Provides active case management, assesses service needs, develops and coordinates action plans in cooperation with members, monitors services and implements plans, to include member goals. Evaluates outcomes of plans, eligibility, level of benefits, place of service, length of stay, and medical necessity regarding requested services and benefit exceptions. Ensures accurate documentation of clinical information to support and determine medical necessity criteria and contract benefits. Provides telephonic support for members with chronic conditions, high risk pregnancy or other at risk conditions that
- consist of: intensive assessment/evaluation of condition, at risk education based on members identified needs, provides member-centered coaching utilizing motivational interviewing techniques in combination with reflective listening and readiness to change assessment to elicit behavior change and increase member program engagement.
- 20% Performs medical or behavioral review/authorization process. Ensures coverage for appropriate services within benefit and medical necessity guidelines. Utilizes allocated resources to back up review determinations. Identifies and makes referrals to appropriate staff (Medical Director, Case Manager, Preventive Services, Subrogation, Quality of care Referrals, etc.). Participates in data collection/input into system for clinical information flow and proper claims adjudication. Demonstrates compliance with all applicable legislation and guidelines for all regulatory bodies, which may include but is not limited to ERISA, NCQA, URAC, DOI (State), and DOL (Federal).
- 10% Participates in direct intervention/patient education with members and providers regarding health care delivery system, utilization on networks and benefit plans. May identify, initiate, and participate in on-site reviews. Serves as member advocate through continued communication and education. Promotes enrollment in care management programs and/or health and disease management programs.
- 5% Maintains current knowledge of contracts and network status of all service providers and applies appropriately. Assists with claims information, discussion, and/or resolution and refers to appropriate internal support areas to ensure proper processing of authorized or unauthorized services.
- 5% Provides appropriate communications (written, telephone) regarding requested services to both health care providers and members.
- Associate Degree - Nursing, OR,
- Graduate of Accredited School of Nursing
- Four years recent clinical, OR,
- Four years utilization review/case management/clinical/or combination; 2 of the 4 years must be clinical.
- An active, unrestricted RN license from the United States and in the state of hire OR, active compact multistate unrestricted RN license as defined by the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC).
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of word processing software.
- Knowledge of quality improvement processes and demonstrated ability with these activities.
- Knowledge of contract language and application.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize effectively, and make sound decisions.
- Good judgment skills. Demonstrated customer service, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in spelling, punctuation, and grammar skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to persuade, negotiate, or influence others.
- Analytical or critical thinking skills.
- Ability to handle confidential or sensitive information with discretion. Microsoft Office.
- URAC recognized Case Management Certification must be obtained within 4 years of hire as a Case Manager.
We participate in E-Verify and comply with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and our subsidiary companies maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment to promote employment opportunities for persons regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, weight, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other legally protected status. Additionally, as a federal contractor, the company maintains Affirmative Action programs to promote employment opportunities for minorities, females, disabled individuals and veterans. It is our policy to provide equal opportunities in all phases of the employment process and to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail [Click Here to Email Your Resum ] or call 1-800-###-####, ext. 43172 with the nature of your request. We will make a determination regarding your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
Associated topics: ambulatory, cardiothoracic, care unit, infusion, intensive care unit, nurse, nurse clinical, registed, registered nurse, tcu