HopeHealth is seeking an experienced Palliative Care Consultant for its affiliate HopeHealth Hospice & Palliative Care.
The Palliative Care Consultant works in collaboration with the Hospice Medical Director, HopeHealth Hospice & Palliative Care staff and Primary Care Physician (PCP) to recommend a plan of care focused on the relief of pain and symptoms, determination of disease trajectory and treatment options. The Consultant is responsible for evaluating and coordinating patient/family needs to enable preventive and supportive care. The Consultant utilizes assessment, intervention and teaching to maximize patient comfort and to enhance the quality of life to the patient/family unit. The consultant utilizes assessment to determine the disease trajectory to assist the patient and family in decision making regarding treatment options for end of life care.
This is a per diem position.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities
Direct Patient Care
* Obtains medical/health histories and performs physical examinations and provides follow-up care for patient. * Diagnoses, treats and monitors acute and chronic conditions in collaboration with the PCA physician and/or the PCP. * Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic studies in collaboration with the PCA physician and/or the patient's PCP. * Makes referrals to specialists as needed in managing symptoms. * Identifies, implements and evaluates appropriate plans of care, including pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions within the guidelines of the Rhode Island Nurse Practitioner Act (RI Code R 14 140 022-17) * The consultant will provide assessments and evaluation of patients per the direction of the hospice medical director to determine hospice eligibility. Promotes positive health behaviors and self-care skills through education and counseling.
* Provides pain and symptom consultation in multiple sites that include but are not limited to the patient's home, assisted living facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, and clinics. * Counseling and coordination of care to patients and families. * Education and Research * Improves clinical outcomes by conducting research or applying the research findings of others. * Supports the mission of Palliative Care Associates and HopeHealth Hospice & Palliative Care through formal and informal education. * Provides HHHPC staff and external facility staff with current information on palliative care. * Identifies available resources for patient and family education. * Acts as a preceptor to students and other professionals. * Participates in continuing professional development and maintenance of clinical skills.
* Acts as liaison between HHHPC and other professionals including physicians, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, resource agencies and the medical community. * Acts as a health care resource, interdisciplinary consultant and patient advocate. * Participates in inter/intra-agency and community referrals.
* Demonstrates knowledge of HHHPC policies and procedures and pertinent State and Federal Rules and Regulations. * Provides accurate and appropriate documentation of patient/family services as specified in policies and submits in a timely manner. * Consistently apply the HHHPC values in all aspects of work, complying with established HHHPC mission, policies, procedures and objectives in quality assurance, safety, environment, infection control and HIPAA compliance.
Education / Experience
* Graduated from an accredited master's degree program in Nursing and/or Clinical Doctorate program in nursing. * Certified as a Family/Geriatric or Adult Nurse Practitioner and certified as a Registered Nurse Practitioner in the state of RI. * Minimum of one to three years' experience as nurse practitioner or physician's assistant, preferably in the field of Palliative Care. Minimum of 2 years' experience in geriatrics, acute care, hospice, or oncology. * Experience with pain and symptom management is highly preferred. * Knowledge of third-party reimbursement procedures and requirements is helpful. * Experience in hospice and palliative care is highly preferred and with certification as advance practice in hospice and palliative care. Experience in primary care within a hospital or nursing home preferred. * Current Rhode Island licenses as RN and Registered Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant. * Current Massachusetts licenses as RN and Registered Nurse Practitioner or Physician's Assistant. * Current Rhode Island license for prescriptive authority, RI controlled substance license, DEA license. * Current Massachusetts license for prescriptive authority, MA controlled substance license, DEA license. * Valid driver's license with and automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or agency requirements and is in good working order.
The HopeHealth benefits package features competitive heath care benefits, company provided life insurance, mileage reimbursement, generous paid time off and holidays, a robust orientation program, and a company matched retirement program.
HopeHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.