Under the general direction of the Unit Director, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to identify patient needs, systematically plan and implement a plan of care and continually evaluate the results of that care.
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance as defined at St. Mary s Hospital using the conceptual framework for nursing practice as a guide. Commits to professional development and visible leadership. Assumes responsibility and accountability for own professional practice, continuing education and competency (i.e., mandatory inservice, staff meetings). Seeks learning opportunities.
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers. Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel. Supports the activities, decisions and initiative of colleagues
- Utilizes the nursing process to develop a care plan and deliver patient care. Uses best practice based on literature outcomes, integrates into care provisions and decision making. Advocates for patient/family throughout the nursing process. Acts as a clinical resource to and supervises care delivered by the NA. Delegates work appropriately.
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies, procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment operation and maintenance. Completes documentation according to unit/hospital standards.
- Demonstrates ability to recognize personal values and beliefs and recognize own beliefs and values as separate from the patient situation.
- Supports activities of colleagues. Participates in unit and/or housewide quality improvement measures. Contributes as an effective team member. Participates in productive/problem solving dialogue (i.e., offers and/or seeks solutions to issues). Recognizes and supports change.
- Participates in at least 50% of unit staff meetings. A minimum of 3 meetings must be in person, the remainder may be by a remote option. Access individual unit's methods of communication regularly.
- Respects the confidentiality and dignity of patients. Communicates effectively with customers.
- Performs charge nurse role. Communicates with Nursing Supervisor at charge nurse meeting each shift and as unit needs dictate. Assigns and reassigns personnel according to dynamics of unit to maintain a balanced workload for current shifts. In collaboration with the Nursing Supervisor, assesses status of unit, making sure current and following shifts are adequately covered.
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively. Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT minimal or nonexistent.
- Performs other duties as requested.