GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the mental health nurse manager, functions as a professional by utilizing the nursing process in caring for psychiatric patients. Is responsible for incorporating general and unit specific competencies into nursing practice. Adheres to UMMC nursing standards in accordance with licensure of Registered Nurses by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
* Utilizes nursing process for the delivery and management of patient care
* Performs and documents a nursing assessment based on a systematic data collection
* Identifies with the patient and family problems/potential problems and incorporates findings on the patient care plan
* Initiates a plan of care that includes nursing diagnosis, nursing interventions/orders and outcomes within established time frames for their achievement
* Communicates assessment, identified problems and plan of care to appropriate health care providers
* Implements or delegates the implementation of the plan of care
* Evaluates the effectiveness of the plan of care and revises it as necessary
* Explains system of care delivery to patient and family and encourage their participation in the plan of care Recognizes and supports the psycho physiological needs of the patient and family
* Develops and implements an educational plan for the patient/family
* Assesses and documents actual and potential learning needs
* Develops and implements a patient education plan based upon assessment and documents progress towards outcomes
* Demonstrates clinical competency in nursing practice
* Recognizes changes in patient's physical and mental condition and takes appropriate action
* Responds appropriately in emergency situations
* Adapts nursing care interventions to patient's physical condition, emotional status, and developmental level Maintains a safe environment for patients and staff
* Uses equipment properly and safely
* Administers and documents medications according to Medication Policy and Procedure
* Performs and/or delegates patient treatments as prescribed by the nurse or physician
* Reviews goals and discharge plan daily and revises as needed
* Communicates plan of care and discharge plan with other health professional to provide necessary care for patient and family
* Relates pertinent information regarding patient progress toward outcomes during inter-shift report
* Participates in inter-disciplinary in-patient care rounds
* Adheres to approved nursing standards in performing all unit specific and general competencies
* Assumes responsibility for professional growth and demonstrates leadership skills
* Participates in annual performance review process
* Identifies own strengths and weaknesses
* Serves as a resource and role model to other staff nurses and health care providers
* Responsible for keeping informed of hospital policies and procedures and standards of care
* Supports activities of nursing committees
* Maintains current knowledge of relevant issues of nursing practice
* Demonstrates a commitment to promote a unit environment which supports positive public relations. image and effective communication with patients, visitors, and health team members
* Displays a positive manner in the work environment
* Responds to conflict or stressful situations in a constructive and sensitive manner
* Demonstrates a commitment to primary nursing
* Collaborates with patient and/or family and physician to identify discharge plan and ensures that discharge plan is current
* Negotiates with other nurses to determine coverage and define lines of communication and responsibility to assure continuity of care
* Maintains a therapeutic relationship with patients to individualize patient care and functions as a patient advocate
* Facilitates discharge planning
* Participates in arranging follow-up care with other facilities and documents discharge planning activities
* According to UMMC Policy and Procedure, the professional nurse will:
* Demonstrate the ability to care for adolescent psychiatric patients.
* Demonstrate the ability to care for adult psychiatric patients.
* Complete a comprehensive physical assessment.
* Admit a patient.
* Discharge a patient.
* Deliver medications.
* Deliver IV's.
* Deliver blood and blood products.
* Prepare a patient for the operating room.
* Care for the post-operative patient.
* Assess a patient at risk for falls and implement a prevention plan.
* Assess a patient at risk for skin breakdown and implement a prevention plan.
* Assess patient's pain and treat.
* Demonstrate ability with the following:
Group/individual relationship skill. Utilize milieu and group dynamics to promote improved patient. Utilize safe restraints. Manage acting out/assaultive patients/psychiatric emergencies. Suicide precautions. Behavioral treatment contracts. Promote improved reality testing. Utilize mental health community resources.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Currently registered by the Board of Registration in Nursing for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts OR
* Graduate from an accredited school of nursing who has temporary license status.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is of medium to heavy demand, standing and walking most of the time; frequently lifts patient with assistance; frequent reaching and manual dexterity in handling instruments and equipment when attending to patients' needs; talking and hearing for discussion with patients and supervisors; near visual acuity for accurate reading of gauges and thermometers and for recording patient's charts.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Performs independently within established policies and procedures and standards of practice designated in the Department of Nursing. Seeks guidance from Nurse Manager when necessary.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: May be assigned to function as a resource nurse and/or supervise clinical activities of other nursing personnel within the Department of Nursing.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Usual working environment found on acute and intensive patient care units. Exposure to blood products, body fluids, chemotherapy, and/or other potentially toxic medications. Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
Associated topics: asn, cardiothoracic, care, care unit, domiciliary, intensive care, nurse clinical, nurse rn, staff nurse, unit
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...